Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It’s been a while since writing, not training - LA Marathon March 20 2011

I just finished a nearly flawless 18 week long training program for the LA Marathon.  I juggled, but met all of my commitments to friends and family, ran many times at 3am and rode during my lunch breaks.  I ate well and made sure to get the sleep my body needed.  I made sure to record the mileage on my shoes and kept them fresh; I’m talking DETAILS!  I did everything in my control to execute a personal best marathon.
I took the day off on Friday before the marathon to go to the expo and pick up my race number so that I could spend Saturday with my family (after the final run of my taper period).  We spent the middle part of the day at a Tae Kwon Do tournament, which is an important part of my family and social life.  I started feeling a little nauseous around lunch time, figured I was hungry.  Couldn’t find anything I wanted to eat at the tournament so I decided to wait until the planned pasta feast planned for dinner.
We checked into our hotel room at the Bonaventure downtown LA and walked a couple of blocks to Maria’s kitchen for dinner.  It was about this time that I began to fear that my marathon wasn’t going to happen.  I broke into a cold sweat when the food arrived at our table and ran to the bathroom fearing that I would barf right there in the restaurant.  I didn’t barf but it was close.  Just to shorten the story this continued all night long, I got almost no sleep and hadn’t eaten for 20 hours.  When I couldn’t even think about eating my favorite oatmeal and peanut butter breakfast I knew my marathon wasn’t going to happen.  I can’t explain how it felt to cross over the marathon course as we headed home.

No comments: